In the recent release, End Of Watch, Jake Gyllenhaal brings a performance with clout. He has always been an actor who performs to a high level, and he has generally been cast in very different roles. He always has been a hit with the ladies but he also hasn't been afraid to play a homosexual and appeal to the male audience. His abilities are not used for the pay packet and many of his diverse performances high light he is in it for the art. At the age of 32 he is still frighteningly young for a Hollywood star who has been in many films. If his early career is anything to go by then he will be around for at least 30 years more. Anyway I thought I would take a look at some of his better films and below I have listed five for you to have a look at.
1. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - I had to start with this one as it is definitely his most controversial role, and probably the one he is most known for. In the film he plays a cowboy sent up to Brokeback Mountain to work. His new work partner, and the only one joining him up the mountain, is Heath Ledger. The two grow so close over their time up the mountain and begin a love affair that the pair fail to let go of when they finally return home.
2. DONNIE DARKO - His first major film outing saw Jake play a kid called Donnie Darko who starts to have visions of a giant bunny rabbit who is counting down to the end of the world. Donnie brushes off the hallucinations until he notices the rabbit's predictions are coming true. Jake has come a long way since this role and it seems like a life time ago.
3. JARHEAD - A film about Desert-Storm soldiers preparing for experiences in Saudi Arabia and eventually fighting in Kuwait. Gyllenhaal plays Anthony Swofford, the soldier whose autobiography the film is based on.
4. SOURCE CODE - Time travel has become a theme for Gyllenhaal in his films. In Source Code he plays a soldier who has signed up for an operation in where he is sent back in time into someone else's body to help the authorities catch a terrorist who has blown up a train.
5. ZODIAC - Directed by David Fincher, Gyllenhaal is given the lead ahead of stars such as Robert Downey Jr and Mark Ruffalo. He plays a cartoonist who becomes obsessed with the identity of the Zodiac Killer, who has been giving out clues to his identity for a number of years.
Some great films he has done then. His performances have also been top class in them all, ranging from a fearsome soldier to a homosexual cowboy. His latest film End Of Watch shows Gyllenhaal's ultimate range as an actor and also highlights that great things are to come for him if he keeps up the good work. Hard to believe he is only in his early thirties based on his current mature performances.