Now there is several more that could have been added to that list, John Doe (Seven), Jack Torrance (The Shining), Annie Wilks (Misery), Joker (The Dark Knight), but I decided to go with the ones above as they were the ones Total Film put at the top of their list. I personally don't think any are worse than the other but that's because I wouldn't want to be left alone with any of them. On second thoughts I think it would be the oversized chainsaw wiedling, dead skin wearing freak from Texas who would have me running the fastest. Now if you've seen Seven Psychopaths you'll know what I mean when I say these guys make the ones in McDonagh's new movie look sopping wet behind the ears.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
QUESTION: Who is the scariest movie psychopath?
Trying to keep to some kind of connection with last week's film release, Seven Psychopaths, I thought I would ask who you thought is really a psychopath in the movie world. Seven Psychopaths is more of a satirical comedy with the nutcases, although still being nutty, more comical then really psychotic. What I want to know then is in your eyes which character is the nuttiest, and the one you would least want to meet in a dark alleyway? Total Film has also done a feature on this topic and I'm going to use five of their top ten choices as examples below. So have a think, which one of these would you not want to be alone with?
1. HANNIBAL LECTER (Silence of the Lambs) - Imprisoned for murder and then eating his victims, former psychiatrist Hannibal is interrogated by Clarice Starling who needs his help to catch a serial woman killer. You wouldn't want this guy getting inside your head mind you. Played by Anthony Hopkins.
2. NORMAN BATES (Psycho) - A deranged motel owner who dresses up in his dead mother's clothes and murders occupants when they're in the shower. Don't think I would like to stay at the Bates Motel. Played by Anthony Perkins.
3. COLONEL KURTZ (Apocalypse Now) - A top Colonel turned insane by the trauma of war and now hiding out in the Cambodian jungle as the head of a small village where he plays God to the tribe and kills anyone who gets in his way. Played by Marlon Brando.
4. LEATHERFACE (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) - Severely disfigured living within a psychopathic family, Leatherface kills or kidnaps anyone who comes near their property and introduces them to a family that kill for sport. His weapon of choice; a chainsaw, mask of choice; victim's faces sewn together. Played by Gunnar Hansen.
5. ROARK JUNIOR (Sin City) - Roark is nicknamed the Yellow Bastard and in the comic book film noir he is highlighted as bright yellow and tremendously ugly. He gets his kicks from kidnapping and torturing children, especially the ones that got away years before. Played by Nick Stahl.