Monday, February 20, 2012

CHRONICLE - Superhero powers = pranks on unsuspecting victims

Due to another week of poor releases at the cinema we went to see a film released a few weeks ago. A film that I had heard so many great remarks about but a film I left the cinema a little cheesed off with. I didn't mind the film, it was alright but my girlfriend on the other hand hated it. I was surprised at how much she despised the film.

Some of her issues I did agree with. Her problem with it was that it was boring. Granted within the opening hour I, at times, was a little bored. The opening hour is about the three school boys finding something hidden in the ground, something that is never explained, and gaining superpowers. They then spend the time of the film pulling pranks on people. Yeah some of them were fun but after a while I just wanted this part to end and the story to move forward.

The story finally moved forward at the hour mark, where one of the boys turns evil due to the bullying he has received from people at school and his abusive father. It also doesn't help that his mother has just died. Here the film gets going as one of the other lads has to stop him from killing people. Police cars fly through the air, the two lads crash through buildings, suddenly I was getting into it, however before you know it it was over!! The film is so short. That's another reason why it is so annoying that so little happens in the opening hour, other than them having a laugh. I wanted the guy to turn evil a little earlier and then see a film of them using their powers to stop one another. I left the cinema not feeling like I had seen a film, I didn't really know what I had seen.

The shaky cam technique does become really annoying, especially when they drag other peoples cameras through the air with them just to justify the use of different cameras angles. I don't know why they didn't just use normal cameras for it. There is also a pointless scene with a woman that video blogs her entire life, it is obvious she is in there so we can see the action from a different angle. It all seems a little too set up on the camera front.

I disliked the opening hour, the start was OK but for me it became a little dull, others I have spoken to though thought the first hour was the best bit. Maybe it is a film which is going to split audiences with which part is the better bit. For me it is the exciting final ten minutes, for others it is the prank filled first hour and for my girlfriend it is none of it!!

Pros: The final ten-fifteen minutes and some of the effects.

Cons: Too short and not enough story development through the short running time.

4 / 10


Films of 2012 so far:


1. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol     7 / 10
2. The Grey     7 / 10
3. Man On A Ledge     5 / 10
4. J. Edgar     4.5 / 10
5. The Iron Lady     4.5 / 10
6. Shame     4 / 10
7. Chronicle     4 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment